Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Home

If you've ever seen me or any member of my family impatient with someone, or if you've seen me obsess over antibacterial soaps and lotions, or if you've seen me jump around like a lunatic because my country or favorite team won, I'll first say sorry.

Sorry....

But hey~ I somewhat can't help it - it's in my blood~

The Republic of Korea is a small country about the size of the state of Maine. There are approximately 48 million people in this small squarish country, and all of us can be summed up in three words: quick, patriotic hypochondriacs.

Ever since I've walked into Inchon International Airport, Korea has been quick.


Passport Control Korea Style

In Russia, about 40 people had to wait, in two lines to get through passport control. What's worse is that my lane was interrupted when I was second in line, and it was changed for only the plane crew. I had to switch lanes and waited a lot for my turn.

Korea values speed almost as much as quality, I think. I mean, my mom bought something too heavy for her to carry, so she asked to have it delivered to our apartment. When she got home, the delivery man was waiting on her. -_-;; In one restaurant, the waitresses communicate with the kitchen via hands-free radio wire??? That restaurant, we go in and come out in under 15 minutes. They serve your food in under 100 seconds from the time you order, (I'm pretty sure we once measured) and they give you your bill with the plates.

Ok....... that is a bit extreme... It's TRUE, but that place is one of a kind. So much that tourists come to Korea just for that restaurant... But still~ That place is quick quick quick... (inside joke :))


I know you've all seen one of the Jangs (or any typical Korean) wash his or her hands with lotions, hand sanitizers, and or ointments. Hey! You might think it's weird, but something happened at the turn of the century that made like 90 percent of all Koreans hypochondriacs....

There was this Korean guy I knew some years ago who had to go to the restroom five minutes before class was dismissed because he had to wash his hands.... Either his hands were really filthy, he wanted attention, or his Korean mentality was working up at a terrible time. Yeah... He's an extreme case too, but Koreans are OBSESSED (this is an understatement no joke) with the term "well-being." In grocery stores, the term "MSG" has been long embargoed by the buyers, and only certified "well-being products" get any attention. Even the cookies are well-being... -_-;; I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, but I know from personal experience that the "well-being" "cookies" taste almost exactly like my English cooking project of 16th century desserts.

Also, Korea is, by percentage of population, the least obese in developed countries. BUT Korea is also the country that has the highest percentage of people that has gone on a diet. -_-;;

Seriously... What does this.... Around Seoul, around 1.5 million people met in city squares, parks, and empty World Cup stadiums to watch the World Cup Soccer game between Korea and Argentina played in a remote stadium approximately 6000 miles from where they're watching. Koreans have redefined cheering for their national soccer team at the World Cup. Seriously if you don't believe me go there. That took quite a long time to find, but still... It was worth it. :D

Koreans are, I guess, extreme patriots. :D
So if you see me extremely emotional about about my country or about my favorite group, now you know why... Please understand, as it is a short-lived irritation that'll pass real soon.





Sorry I haven't been able to blog recently... I've been really really tired, and I actually sat with the computer on my lap thrice, but I've never been able to actually start writing.. (pathetic I know) Anyway, I'll try to be more active Blogging-wise from now on... :D :D :D

"I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. "
Psalm 3:6 ... unrelated I know, but I really liked this verse recently :D

2 comments:

  1. glad you still remember your blog. they are fun to read...
    well yeah from knowing Koreans, most of what you said made complete sense. ive never understood patriotism but i dont think i ever will so excuse me for any remark i make against that. i like clean hands too. dont be afraid to be who you are regardless of if it annoys others. we are all interesting and unique. hey, its how God made us! =D
    hey talk to me more. i feel out of contact with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you still remember your blog. they are fun to read...
    well yeah from knowing Koreans, most of what you said made complete sense. ive never understood patriotism but i dont think i ever will so excuse me for any remark i make against that. i like clean hands too. dont be afraid to be who you are regardless of if it annoys others. we are all interesting and unique. hey, its how God made us! =D
    hey talk to me more. i feel out of contact with you...

    ReplyDelete