Friday, April 22, 2011

I Thank God~

K... This is completely unrelated from any of the topics that I've asked y'all to vote for some time ago... But I really think I should talk about this~ :) Just isn't the title epic? K~ anywho...

Sometime ago... Think it was last Sunday... While we were going to church and I was looking out the window with nothing really to do, I saw two people walking down the street together. From the back, I only saw that they were walking side by side, and that one of them was really really short... K, so
I felt bad for the guy because I automatically thought he was a midget or some birth disorder that caused his height to be so short. But then we sped up and I saw the front of both people, and I saw that the shorter guy wasn't a midget--his legs just ended at the knees... I'm normally used to seeing old war veterans without full lower legs, but this guy really struck me and as I thought about him these past couple days made me review my life... After I got over the initial shock of seeing him not begging in the streets like most of the war veterans do, I saw that he and his friend were talking really happily about something. Just his face said it all~

Sorry for the random picture, but this face and that man's face was really similar. His face was just radiant with happiness. I had to have this picture in here (thank you for the anonymous person from whom I stole this picture on Facebook) because that type of face and that type of joy is really like so innocent, pure and genuine happy that only babies have it. Watching how he and his friend, who patiently was taking less than half of half of a stride each step, were looking at each other and walking down the road really hit me and made me feel a bit guilty too...

K~ now a bit different topic you have to know... In many of the basketball practices we had this year, our coach told us that we're a really talented group. Just being able to run was a gift that we should thank God for every day. He more than once talked about his mother and how she had trouble even standing up from a couch or a seat. Yeah I thanked God then, but it really never struck me how much it is to be able to just even walk. We never thank God for being able to walk do we? I mean... It's obvious that He should give us the ability to walk, breathe, eat, and the opposite-of-eat (sorry but I know a 3-year old kid who can't and I can't skip over him because he's an awesome person) perfectly without any problems right?

No~ this little event really hit me big... I was like, "Woah... How is he so happy without proper legs, and I'm always so depressed and angry while having so much in life?" We many times find ourselves in a position where we're like, "God! Why didn't You give me 'this' or 'that'?" I don't know what y'all want that God hasn't given you, be it a friend, a score on a test, a position in the student government, an award for athletics, arts, and or academics. The list of complaints goes on forever, but why don't we ever even think of saying, "Thank You, Lord~" most of the time? Imagine what the man's reaction would be if God gave him a perfect set of legs again... He'd be jumping for joy and living every day with infinite amounts of joy wouldn't he? ... This experience really was groundshaking (is that even a word...) for me. I was just blown away and a bit sickened at how his happiness was contrasted with my pessimistic, deserved-to-be-whacked attitude about life.

So yeah, I'll end with two videos...... Sorry I couldn't get the real thing... But I still liked both... :)


Psalms 103:2
"Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits."

No comments:

Post a Comment