Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Boast of Isaac

OK. So for British Literature class, we're studying old pagan cultures, and we got to a part where we talked about boasts.. Boasts at that time were like toasts... Just to themselves... Hehe, but it was perfectly normal and even expected of the people to boast about themself~ :) And we were assigned to write our own boasts. Here's mine!~ Oh yeah, underlined things are alliteration or kennings (two words connected by a dash to make it into a new word).

I was born in the Land of the Morning Calm as the only son

to my father and mother, who both ever did so pray for a boy.

But not a half-year after entering this world, I flew on a metal-bird

over to the Land of Rus’, where winters were wild without waning.

There, the Hermitage, where Anastasia and the last

of the Romanovs dwelled, became my playground,

and the city named the “Window opened upon Europe”

became my beloved backyard. But my travels did not end there;

I soon found myself crossing the land of all Europe.

I climbed up high-hills and beheld for myself

the impenetrable fortress of Neuschwanstein, where Disney

found the iconic castle for his universally acclaimed symbol.

I roamed through the salt mines of Hallstatt, where the Brothers Grimm

modeled Snow White’s dwarfs digging for diamonds and

other sparkly-stones after the short sirs who searched for salt.

And now I plan on taking my diverse experiences and culture to

the city of Evanston, abode of Northwestern University, where

I will major in engineering. Before I go to higher-school, though,

I will revert to my roots to reflect on my past and prepare

for the impending experience that is college.


Wow... Boasts are really awkward... Cause it's like, so not normal in today's society to say all these things about yourself... So I'll end with a better Bible verse today~ :)

God's Boast

Job 41: 11

"Who has a claim against me that I must pay?
Everything under heaven belongs to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment