Tuesday, November 20, 2012

At Radiator Springs!!!

Hah, this post will NOT start with a "sorry haven't posted in such a long time" apology with promises to be more consistent in the future... Whether I start blogging again we will soon find out... But no promises.  I guess I think I should blog because not only will it be a bit of a better use of my time, but also it will let others who I'm not super close with still be able to get to know me.  Like I'm pretty sure most of my family and friends from Russia will know a lot about what I write, but for those who don't know me as well, this'll be a place for y'all to get to know me a bit better... Was that really really redundant?  It's getting a bit late and I'm just doing this cause I know I won't do it if I postpone it for later...

Anywho~ on to the real post now...

So, it's been 8 full weeks of college now... daanngg, time goes sooo fast.  It seems like just yesterday I was meeting up with my PA group for the first time during wildcat welcome.  During those 8 weeks, I've probably met more people and created more friendships than I have all my life... Well maybe not completely, but I've met so many new, awesome people, and I can't wait to get to know them even more so than I do now... HOWEVER, college and everything else is for a later post... Right now I'm talking about how I'm in Radiator Springs!  For those poor souls who don't know who I'm talking about or y'all need to refresh your memories, Radiator Springs is the small town in "Cars" where Lightning McQueen somehow ends up in. (Yes I know Northwestern students would tear me to shreds for ending my sentence with a preposition... But :P )  Here's a picture of Radiator Springs.


The reason I say I'm in Radiator Springs is because for Thanksgiving break, I'm at my best friend's (Jake Siegel) place in a small town called Pettisville, Ohio.  And from all the stories of Pettisville, I knew it was nowhere near as big as Chicago, St. Petersburg, Naperville, Seoul, and all the places I was used to.  But today, I got to firsthand experience Pettisville in all its glory; this I got to do for a whole full minute driving down Main Street.  During our drive to Pettisville, I was talking to Mr. and Mrs. Siegel, and I asked Mr. Siegel if Pettisville was like Radiator Springs.  His immediate response was that Radiator Springs was large compared to Pettisville.  :)  I was a bit shocked and wondered if I should be worried.  Then we actually arrived and started our tour.  We went across the railroad tracks which marked the beginning of the town, and then we went past about 5 houses and then just as I was about to say, "wow this is bigger than I thought," Mr. Siegel said, "And right up there where the stop sign is the end of town."  I just started laughing and laughed for a good 10 seconds before I told them what I was about to say before Mr. Siegel ended the tour.

But in no way am I saying I don't like it here!  In fact, I've been here like an hour and a half, and I already love it.  I love the small quaint neighborhood that allows me to take a step back (many steps back actually) from the midterms in Evanston (two the past two days) and the hustle of Chicago (the moment I got off my train at Chicago, I started running down the road to catch my bus to Toledo).  I love the people I'm with right now (I don't know what I would do without the Siegels).  And I love the occasion that allowed us to be able to spend time together (THANK YOU, LORD FOR THANKSGIVING).  And that's only the beginning of it.  The night sky actualy has stars!!!  St. Petersburg, Moscow, Chicago, and Seoul are wayyy too polluted and have way too much background light from the city that stars are near invisible, and on a good clear night, I'll be lucky to find any stars (the North Star went missing on me recently).  OOH on my way here, I almost read "Son" by Lois Lowry.  It's the fourth and final part of "The Giver" series.  I ordered it last week so I could read it during this trip on one of my bus/train rides to/from Northwestern.  I can't wait to get started on it.  i was going to read it on my way here, but my midterms really did a good job depriving me of sleep, so I think I had to have sleep to be able to properly appreciate the upcoming couple days :)


I can't wait to have an awesome time.  Although I am a bit scared on how Kurt will wake me up tomorrow morning... Whenever Kurt sees me, he seems to regress maturity-wise, and he becomes the 4th grade Kurt who I love dearly.  :)  Like I heard he was actually a leader in school the year I was gone, but I really didn't see much of it because the instant I came back, he became Jake, Andrew, and Isaac's little brother again :)  Ohh Kurt, Please don't wake me up tomorrow...  I'll be much more fun to be around if I have good night's sleep. 

For those of you who have never read any of my blogs, I usually end my posts with a bible verse or a biblical quote relevant with my post or just with what's going on in my life at that point.  So for my Bible verse today, I'm just going to paraphrase the creation of the world - Genesis 1.  God creates light (day 1); the sky (day 2), the land, seas and plants (day 3); sun, moon, and stars (day 4); birds and fish (day 5); land animals (day 6).  What did He do in between every day? He had evenings! Why?  Because He knew sleep and rest at night was good.  Just felt like pointing that out~ Cause Kurt will probably wake me up in a rude manner tomorrow and will be taking away one of God's greatest gifts.  It's okay, I will give thanks for that too.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment