My previous post was about how I arrived in Pettisville, the smallest town I've ever been to in my life. After a heavenly four and a half days there, I came back "down to earth." Get it?!? Cause Pettisville was like heaven, and my post title is "down to earth"? :P Haha it sounded great when I was thinking this post through, but now it just looks lame. Whatever, I couldn't think of a better title/intro to this post :)
In my previous post, I said that my blog would be a place for those who don't know me as well (or would like to know more about me) to learn new things about me. So for today's post, I'll probably try to show y'all the more emotional side of Isaac. Although many only get to see my fun-loving, squinty-eye-laughing self, I am in fact a multi-dimensional human being, capable of feeling more than just haha's and yay's. And yes, my emotional part actually comes into play during my trip in Ohio too.
During the trip, especially during downtimes like in the car and in my bed, I found myself getting the familiar feeling of sadness, bittersweetness, and nostalgia. It's really hard to describe, but to put it simply, I was missing the people sitting directly in front of me. Loving them so much, I found myself dreading having to leave them again (this was like before we were halfway through my stay there). And honestly, I've been feeling this soo much since May when I returned to Russia and IA for a two week visit. As soon as I arrived somewhere, be it church, the school building, a metro stop, a favorite hangout spot, I felt myself starting to miss the place before I had even started doing anything there! I don't even know how this is possible, but to kinda explain this to y'all, I've thought and thought about it and the closest example I can think of is from Narnia. (yay!) Before you go, this guy has lost his mind, just hear me out.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (I'm currently listening to the audio book of it~ soo good) is all fine and dandy, and it's the first time the Pevensie siblings introduced to the wonderful world of Narnia. Then on to Prince Caspian and we get another awesome epic tale of how the four brothers and sisters help restore peace and order in Narnia. However, at the end of the book, we hear the horrible, heart-rending news that Peter and Susan have grown too old for Narnia, and that this will be their last visit to Narnia. Finally, we get to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and we're all excited to have another exciting story set in our favorite lands. But think about how Edmund and Lucy must have felt during this trip. Yes they probably were overjoyed when they met Caspian again (as I was when Kurt woke me up by shoving up a Q-tip up my nose), but I think they must have had a nagging reminder in the back of their minds of how this trip would be their last trip much like how the previous journey was Peter and Susan's last. Now did that prevent them from having the time of their lives while on the Dawn Treader? Not at all!!! (you know you've had a good weekend of fun when you get sick the next week) But when they had time to think about it, I think it must have dawned on them that "this won't last forever." Long gone are the days when Lucy can go into a mere wardrobe for hide-and-seek and enter the world of Narnia. Long gone are the days when I look out the window of our 6th floor apartment and see Jake and Kurt playing basketball with Ethan and Mr. Siegel and run out to join them in a matter of minutes. Long gone are the days when I could take a microbus through the city and pass century-old palaces, the world's best ballet theater, the world's largest collection of paintings, etc. So this May and this Thanksgiving, I really saw and experienced familiar things in a new way. Just the realization that my time with IA and my church was limited made me savour each moment that much more. It increased my love for both my friends/family in Russia, but also increased my love for God. Because I know when He calls us back to our true home, we'll be able to live with everyone we love and fully enjoy Him forever.
Hope that made sense... Don't know if it did though... I thought this over for a week, but I still think it came out a bit jumbled~ I can't write well while I'm emotionally charged. But writing does help release it so it's good :)
If all that was too depressing, I'll tell y'all a funny story of how I got to ride in a police car. See it was Saturday night, and I had just got off the Greyhound bus. It was below 0 Celsius and I wasn't wearing the warmest of clothes. Not only did I not want to walk all the way up to Ogilvie station to take the train to Wheaton but someone had also told me a strange way to get there. So I was confused, cold, and miserable walking north. I didn't know where I was; only that I was walking north and that Ogilvie was also north. However, as I was passing a 7-11, I saw a policeman get into his car. Just to make sure I was walking in the right direction, I asked him how I would get to Ogilvie from here. He started saying I should turn at some street and then go till I met another street. Not knowing the streets around there, I just asked him, "So I basically walk in THIS (pointing straight at a building) direction?" In my defense, the building was how the crow would have flown to Ogilvie. But I must have looked pretty miserable and stupid because the police was like, "Just hop in, it's cold out and I don't want to be referred to as 'the bad cop' in your future stories." (haha~! if only he knew I came from Russia where the drunk police arrived 2 hours after our school alarm went off during a lock-in) But yeah, I told him I was from Russia and we had a good 5 minute conversation :) Future tip: look like a poor, sad idiot and maybe the cops will give you a ride :)
Looking forward to this day,
Isaiah 11:6
"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little Child shall lead them."
From "You're Beautiful" by Phil Wickham
When we arrive at Eternity's shore
Where death is just a memory and tears are no more
We'll enter in as the wedding bells ring,
The bride will come together and we'll sing,
"You're Beautiful"
In my previous post, I said that my blog would be a place for those who don't know me as well (or would like to know more about me) to learn new things about me. So for today's post, I'll probably try to show y'all the more emotional side of Isaac. Although many only get to see my fun-loving, squinty-eye-laughing self, I am in fact a multi-dimensional human being, capable of feeling more than just haha's and yay's. And yes, my emotional part actually comes into play during my trip in Ohio too.
During the trip, especially during downtimes like in the car and in my bed, I found myself getting the familiar feeling of sadness, bittersweetness, and nostalgia. It's really hard to describe, but to put it simply, I was missing the people sitting directly in front of me. Loving them so much, I found myself dreading having to leave them again (this was like before we were halfway through my stay there). And honestly, I've been feeling this soo much since May when I returned to Russia and IA for a two week visit. As soon as I arrived somewhere, be it church, the school building, a metro stop, a favorite hangout spot, I felt myself starting to miss the place before I had even started doing anything there! I don't even know how this is possible, but to kinda explain this to y'all, I've thought and thought about it and the closest example I can think of is from Narnia. (yay!) Before you go, this guy has lost his mind, just hear me out.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (I'm currently listening to the audio book of it~ soo good) is all fine and dandy, and it's the first time the Pevensie siblings introduced to the wonderful world of Narnia. Then on to Prince Caspian and we get another awesome epic tale of how the four brothers and sisters help restore peace and order in Narnia. However, at the end of the book, we hear the horrible, heart-rending news that Peter and Susan have grown too old for Narnia, and that this will be their last visit to Narnia. Finally, we get to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and we're all excited to have another exciting story set in our favorite lands. But think about how Edmund and Lucy must have felt during this trip. Yes they probably were overjoyed when they met Caspian again (as I was when Kurt woke me up by shoving up a Q-tip up my nose), but I think they must have had a nagging reminder in the back of their minds of how this trip would be their last trip much like how the previous journey was Peter and Susan's last. Now did that prevent them from having the time of their lives while on the Dawn Treader? Not at all!!! (you know you've had a good weekend of fun when you get sick the next week) But when they had time to think about it, I think it must have dawned on them that "this won't last forever." Long gone are the days when Lucy can go into a mere wardrobe for hide-and-seek and enter the world of Narnia. Long gone are the days when I look out the window of our 6th floor apartment and see Jake and Kurt playing basketball with Ethan and Mr. Siegel and run out to join them in a matter of minutes. Long gone are the days when I could take a microbus through the city and pass century-old palaces, the world's best ballet theater, the world's largest collection of paintings, etc. So this May and this Thanksgiving, I really saw and experienced familiar things in a new way. Just the realization that my time with IA and my church was limited made me savour each moment that much more. It increased my love for both my friends/family in Russia, but also increased my love for God. Because I know when He calls us back to our true home, we'll be able to live with everyone we love and fully enjoy Him forever.
Hope that made sense... Don't know if it did though... I thought this over for a week, but I still think it came out a bit jumbled~ I can't write well while I'm emotionally charged. But writing does help release it so it's good :)
If all that was too depressing, I'll tell y'all a funny story of how I got to ride in a police car. See it was Saturday night, and I had just got off the Greyhound bus. It was below 0 Celsius and I wasn't wearing the warmest of clothes. Not only did I not want to walk all the way up to Ogilvie station to take the train to Wheaton but someone had also told me a strange way to get there. So I was confused, cold, and miserable walking north. I didn't know where I was; only that I was walking north and that Ogilvie was also north. However, as I was passing a 7-11, I saw a policeman get into his car. Just to make sure I was walking in the right direction, I asked him how I would get to Ogilvie from here. He started saying I should turn at some street and then go till I met another street. Not knowing the streets around there, I just asked him, "So I basically walk in THIS (pointing straight at a building) direction?" In my defense, the building was how the crow would have flown to Ogilvie. But I must have looked pretty miserable and stupid because the police was like, "Just hop in, it's cold out and I don't want to be referred to as 'the bad cop' in your future stories." (haha~! if only he knew I came from Russia where the drunk police arrived 2 hours after our school alarm went off during a lock-in) But yeah, I told him I was from Russia and we had a good 5 minute conversation :) Future tip: look like a poor, sad idiot and maybe the cops will give you a ride :)
Looking forward to this day,
Isaiah 11:6
"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little Child shall lead them."
From "You're Beautiful" by Phil Wickham
When we arrive at Eternity's shore
Where death is just a memory and tears are no more
We'll enter in as the wedding bells ring,
The bride will come together and we'll sing,
"You're Beautiful"
No comments:
Post a Comment