Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 - "It is not for you to know"

On December 21, 2012, we saw the Mayan's projected "end of the world" come and go.  But actually, if you don't account for the one extra day every 4 years (leap year) like the Mayans didn't, then actually the end of the world passed like in May 2012... just a fun fact... So yeah, no one really does know the end of the world (hence my title~ :P)

K, so on to a small year recap... fun fact: 2012 was the first year I didn't have 18 blog posts during the year... In fact, I only had 4... major slacking :o

Last year, I recapped 2011 with the best moments from each month... I don't know if I'll even be able to remember that far back o.O let's do this!

January:
Gosh, it's really hard remembering this far back. :o Let's just say, I had an awesome counselor at high school, and she gave me her computer so I could play around with my schedule and match up classes with my friends. :D Also cheered my alma mater's basketball team, the Cossacks, when the played in the Moscow Penguin Basketball Invitational Tournament!

February - April:
Probably the most "normal" time I could live as an American high schooler.  Just going to school, playing basketball, watching movies, hanging out with friends, and going to Willow Creek Easter service was SO GREAT!
Love, Evil, Remedy, Choice, Restoration!!!

May:
Definitely graduation was up there.  Although the culmination of my 12 years of school life ended at an unexpected and somewhat foreign school, I really couldn't have asked for a better ending.  My time at Naperville North was only a year, but it feels like I've made deep and lasting relationships with my friends there.  Then I had the best treat ever by getting to go to Russia to visit my true home.

June:
My Russia trip ended about the second week of June, but not before I attended prom, saw my best friends walk down the aisle to graduate, and walked around the city till well into the night saying one last good-bye.

July:
My family moved number who-knows-what to Korea... I'm pretty sure it was around my 20th move~ Thus started my post-graduation pre-college do-as-much-of-nothing-as-possible summer.  Literally my mode of travel in the empty house was stick a pillow under my stomach and drag myself around the floor with my arms. :)

August:
Still nothing happened... Played basketball and met up with my past Korean friends from both IA and past missionary kid camps.

September:
Prepared for college.  Said good bye to my family long-term for the first time in my life.  Realized how great and how much family meant to me.  Most American high-schoolers I think don't appreciate their families as much as the average MK does.  Like their all so excited for college, but I wasn't really... Although it was really sad and hard to be separated from my family, God really put some great people into my life at NU.

October:
First full month of school.  Started to get settled in and met my IV family.  Start of really great relationships.  Excited for what's to come these next 4 years... :D

November:
Spending time with the my IA friends definitely stands out this month.  I spent a whole weekend with the friends I've loved since K-1st grade, and we just had such an awesome time.  Then the Siegels so generously let me stay over Thanksgiving break, and for the first time, I got to visit them in their Pettisville home.  Through both these events, I really saw how great and faithful God was.  Even though we have hundreds of miles between us, I saw how He was working in each of us in a special way.  And I also praised Him for the unbreakable connection we have in Him.

December:
Urbana missions conference in St. Louis with a bunch of my Northwestern friends and great unexpected run-ins to friends from Naperville and even longer ago.  God really really touched me and I'll hopefully write up on it soon~

Praise the Lord in everything, for keeping me safe and alive through it all!
Here's to 2013 having great things in store!

Acts 1:7
"He said to them: 'It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by His own authority.'"

1 comment: