Sunday, August 30, 2009

Busy and Sad Last Week of Summer

Well... It's been a while since I last blogged, and that's because many different reasons. We tidied up the school a bunch the whole week, and I think the school is looking pretty good now.....
The other reason I was really busy was because a friend (I wish I could've gotten closer to him) recently died. It was a Monday, I was going to Jake's house for a sleepover; when I arrived at the house, I had a phone call from my mom. She was all unstable, and she was like, "Isaac, have you arrived at the house? Be careful cause Ryun Ho, In Kyun, and Can were playing by the Neva (the river that runs through our city) and they fell in and they can't find Ryun Ho for three hours now. " That was a shock, and that pretty much ruined most of our day, but we didn't think too much of it.

Then that evening, during dinner, Mrs Siegel got a phone call and she heard that Ryun Ho was found 100 meters from where he fell in. It's a miracle they found it, because they only had one diver, and Russians aren't the most hardworking people I know of. But they found him.....
Sigh... I don't know what to say... It was the first time anyone I knew died. Of course my two grandfathers, but I saw them like maybe twice? (once when I was born, and they took a picture with me. Then when they were about to die) I basically only remember about my granfather that his hands were really hot when he was praying with the family. (I was holding it the whole prayer, and they were sweaty by the end) So ya first time anybody I actually knew died.
He was so bright always, even when he wasn't supposed to be sometimes... He joined the basketball team, and ran downright the hardest he could, and I actually admired that a bit.
All his pictures are of him smiling.

What really bothered me that whole night was that where he was now? I know this is a really hard topic, but I wanted to bring it up cause I think it doesn't end like everybody thinks. Well, when Ryun Ho came to school, he wasn't a Christian. He had to take Bible from my mom. I didn't know this, but my mom said he was the most improved? and interested in the Word of God. He was curious, and my mom thought to herself that he had a great chance of becoming a believer in a year. (Nobody knew that he would leave us like this) She also talked about death, and that most people go to a "divine being" when their lives come to an end. Even non-believers are scared of death so they always look for someone stronger. She talked about these things and said that maybe when all the students gradually aged and their lives came to a close that they would look to God and would ask to go to Him.
So anyways, the final exam last question was this: "Who is Jesus, and what is He to you?"
His reply was: "Jesus is my Savior, and only if I chose to believe in Him, I can go to Heaven."
So she asked him about his answer, if he really meant it or if he just said that to get credit. He just smiled and left the class.

Then throughout the summer, the Hyundai kids had an English camp at a Christian University here, and they had classes as well as regular Bible studies, praise times, and services. There we hope that he got closer to Jesus. And then the previous Youth Group, a Youth leader said to our mom that Ryun Ho had a curiousity about the Gospel. So a really comforting thought was that Ryun Ho had a good chance of going to Heaven in his last seconds on earth.

The next day -- Tuesday, most of the IA'ers went to the airport to send Ryun Ho's family to Korea for his funeral. I felt bad for all of Ryun Ho's family, but especialy for Ga Hyun, In Kyun, and Can. In Kyun and Can were with Ryun Ho till his final seconds, and Ga Hyun just had a HUGE change in her short life. I mean the parents all were really sad, but they might have had some experience of a close person dying. (even if it wasn't family) But Ga Hyun... sigh... Gotta pray for her. In Kyun and Can both were miserable. I think they're both taking it too hard on themselves. They did all they could to help, and any more and they themselves could've died too.

Wednesday, we had a memorial service at the place Ryun Ho drowned. We all prayed for the family, and we placed letters and flowers into the Neva in Ryun Ho's memory. It was a good way for me, at least, of letting go. After that, I think life went much easier for me, and I was comforted a bunch.

After that, not much happened... We had Rachel's Russian 16th Birthday party. We helped the school move stuff around.

Then today, church......
I didn't sleep too much... actually I slept like 10 minutes; then my cell phone vibrating in my pocket woke me up, and I was too embarrased to do anything after that.

So I'm gonna close with some prayer requests.
  • Ryun Ho's Family
  • In Kyun and Can
  • Andrew's Family (his Grandmother recently also passed away from cancer)
  • My Grandma has an eye problem, and she can't see almost anything with one of her eyes
  • School to go smoothly and everything to calm down
Oh I finished Revelation today (my goal was to finish the New Testament this summer)
I had to read 11 chapters today due to procrastination (couldn't get into really deep stuff :( )
So as an end to this really sad week I'll post the last verse of the Bible to put an end to this and start a new week

"Amen, Come, Lord Jesus. The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen."
Revelation 22:20b-21

1 comment:

  1. yeah, this is a whole lot like mine, but its fine. i dont care. good job.

    ReplyDelete